When you think of celebrities, you think of personal stylists.
Someone to pick out your clothes whether you’re collecting your Oscar or your coffee at Starbucks.
Someone who knows what’s “in” and what looks good on you.
If you’re already a S.W.A.L.K. fan, then you’ll know that there’s a team of independent stylists just waiting to answer all your fashion queries over in our private Facebook group – but if you’re new to S.W.A.L.K., then boy have we got a treat in store for you!
Our stylists Nichola, Veronika, Lydia & Sarah are on hand to help you with style problems, answer your questions and regularly post their own hints, advice and tips (meet each guru properly over on our stylist page.)
However, here at S.W.A.L.K. we like to spoil you, so we asked the stylists what their best style tips are so that we could share them in our blog.
And here they are – pure insider fashion knowledge, just for you!
1. All of the stylists were in agreement – accessories are essential for a polished & stylish look.
Bright, bold and colourful handbags, scarves, a statement necklace – accessories help you to express yourself, upgrade a plain outfit, and upgrade your look.
2. Colour coordinate your outfits. Avoid mixing too many colours and prints - pick an item that’s going to be the “star” of your outfit and match it with neutral colours.
3. Understand & embrace your body shape. If you want to make the correct style choices you need to know which silhouettes flatter you - and then filter trends ruthlessly!
Knowing your basic body shape and understanding the types of clothes that will accentuate your good features (and minimise your less than “perfect” bits!), means you'll be able to dress in a way that really suits you. Today there are so many options to choose from so you'll always be able to find something that will complement your body shape, scale, proportions, colouring, personality and lifestyle.
Download your free S.W.A.L.K. Body Shape Guide here:
4. Invest in classics and buy good quality basics. Fashion items come and go so it's not worth breaking the bank for them. However, a timeless statement piece (such as a classic handbag in a neutral colour)
will always enhance your outfit regardless of the current trends.
5. Wear lipstick! The right lipstick can finish off an outfit perfectly, bringing your look together.
Lipstick can also be used as a good test to see if a colour suits you - if it works on your lips you can definitely wear clothing in a similar shade!
6. When buying online, always have a tape measure to hand to check against the boutique’s size guide.
Also take a look at the fabric that the garment is made from (this will give you a better idea of how it will look when it arrives), as well as checking other buyers’ reviews.
7. Shop smarter! Every clothing item you decide to purchase should go with a minimum of two other pieces in your wardrobe.
Start with trousers and skirts as they anchor your wardrobe, and then move on to your jackets, dresses.
Next add a few core pairs of versatile shoes and accessories that will go with all of your wardrobe. Finally add tops, prints and colours.
Remember if it doesn't go with two items or more, then leave the emotional buying at the door.
8. Think ahead. Whether you're shopping for that ultra-important dress, or you just fancy a new outfit
it’s important that you make the best decision so that you’re not wasting your money and that you feel fabulous when you’re wearing your new clothes.
Wearing the right underwear (control pants or a strapless bra, for example) will ensure that you see exactly how the items will look “in real life”, as will trying it on with the correct heel height, lipstick and jewellery.
9. Build a relationship with a good tailor or dressmaker who understands your body shape and style tastes.
Nothing feels better than when you get ill-fitted clothing revamped. It's amazing how fantastic and confident you can feel wearing something that fits you like a glove.
10. Detox your wardrobe. If you haven't used something for 18 months you don't need it! Focus on the essential, high-quality pieces you love and let go of the rest!
To get your personal invitation to the S.W.A.L.K. Personal Styling Facebook group, sign up to our weekly newsletter here: